The Austin Mayor’s Fitness Council has challenged Austin restaurants and chefs to take part in a Healthy Entrée contest. The goal is simply to encourage area restaurants to offer healthy options and get creative with tasty, healthy eating options. The criteria to enter a dish is as follows:
- No “fake” food (flavors, sweeteners, preservatives)
- Any grains used should be whole, and service size is 1/2 cup (cooked quantity = 3-4 oz)
- At least 1/2 entree is comprised of foods with a score of 100 or more on the ANDI rating scale
- No trans-fat or hydrogenated oils (recommended nuts, seeds and avocado fats)Incorporate lean, low, or reduced fat protein sources (plant-based proteins, nuts, meat, dairy) – serving is the size of a deck of cards
- No added sugar or sweeteners (recommend using non-concentrated juices)
- No more than 1/4 teaspoon (575mh) sodium
- Colorful plate
Obviously, we at Kerbey Lane strive to make affordable, quality, mindful meal options available 24 hours a day. So, we were very excited to learn about this Mayoral challenge and we gladly accepted. Our Executive Chef, Joel Welch, created a beautiful plate that meets (or exceeds) the contest criteria with his Ceviche & Brazil Nut Crackers.
Now is the part where you come in. We know our passionate and loyal fans know a lot about eating right so, we want you to vote for your favorite dish. Hopefully, you’ll vote for Chef Joel’s Ceviche but let’s face it, in Austin there are LOTS of really good looking plates to vote for.
Regardless of who wins this contest, we are very excited that it’s even happening. Whenever people are passionate about creating good food, that’s good for you we are all for it!