In the spirit of National Sandwich Month, Chef Joel would like to share his twist on a classic BLT: a BLFGT (Bacon, Lettuce, Fried Green Tomato). By adding a flavored mayonnaise (we like chipotle) to this sandwich, you can give it an extra kick!
The Fried Green Tomato BLT is currently featured on our seasonal Tomato Menu and is served with french fries or sweet potato fries. So if this recipe sounds great but is not an endeavor you’re likely to make, come on in to any of our 7 locations and let us worry about the cooking!
2 slices sourdough bread, toasted
3 slices green tomato
3 slices bacon
1 piece green leaf lettuce
2 oz mayo
For frying tomatoes:
1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1 1/4 tbs. black pepper
2/3 tbs. garlic salt
3/4 tbs. salt
1 cup vegetable oil
4 tbs. buttermilk
– Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate.
– Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick. Discard the ends.
– Whisk eggs and buttermilk together in a bowl. Scoop flour onto a plate. Mix panko, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper on another plate. Dip tomatoes into flour to coat. Then dip the tomatoes into buttermilk and egg mixture. Dredge in panko breadcrumbs to completely coat.
– In a skillet, pour vegetable oil (enough so that there is 1/2 inch of oil in the pan) and heat over a medium heat. Place tomatoes into the frying pan making sure not to crowd the tomatoes; they should not touch each other. When the tomatoes are browned (about 4 minutes), flip and fry them on the other side. Drain on paper towels.
– Arrange the cooked bacon, lettuce, and tomato slices on one slice of bread. Spread one side of remaining bread slice with the mayonnaise.
– Bring the two pieces together to make a sandwich, cut on a diagonal and add toothpicks to hold together.
And there you have it, a spin on a simple favorite that your friends and family are sure to love!